What Should You Budget For in a Nigerian Wedding?
One of the first things to do when planning a white wedding is to set a budget, based on how much you (the couple) can afford to spend. But that’s just a figure, right? You don’t just take your entire wedding money to the market to start shopping (that’s dumb). You have to first sit down to make a wedding shopping list of things to buy, services to hire and how much to spend on each. A wedding budget list is simply a shopping list of every possible expense you are likely to spend for your wedding.
Nigerian Wedding Budget List for Shopping: Example of Typical Expenses
Below is an example of a wedding budget list – this is the list of expenses that will make up your wedding cost. So, you can also call this a wedding expense list, some people call it the wedding shopping list. Below is just an example, as some couples include more items in their wedding shopping list, while others choose to keep it basic – it all depends on whether you plan to have a low-key wedding or big wedding.
The Wedding Rings
- Wedding rings (bride + groom) ___________
- Wedding ring box or pillow ___________
- Borrow/ rent a used or pre-owned wedding gown ___________
- Bride’s shoes ___________
- Bridal Accessories: bouquet, veil, headpiece; earrings, necklace etc ___________
- Bridal beauty: Hair/ Nails/ Makeup ___________
- Groom’s Shoes ___________
- Groom’s wedding suit ___________
- Groom’s Accessories (e.g cuff links, belt etc) ___________
- Flower boutonniere/ pocket handkerchief) ___________
- Groom’s Grooming (e.g haircut, beard shaving) ___________
Stationery & Souvenirs
- (Printing of) Invitation cards & program ___________
- Souvenirs/ Favors to gift guests ___________
Venue & Decoration (for Reception)
Venue hire (incl. necessary rentals such as canopy tents, chairs) ___________
Decoration: venue, bride n Groom’s cars, venue décor ___________
Reception Food & Drinks
Wedding Cake (assuming N150/ guest count) ___________
Drinks/ Juice/ Water ___________
Reception Entertainment & Visuals
Photography & Video Coverage ___________
Master of Ceremony (MC) ___________
DJ only (No Music Band) ___________
Car and bus hire to transport bride, groom and wedding party (bridesmaids, groomsmen, parents), close relatives and VIP guests to/ from wedding venues ___________
Other Vendors (optional)
- Wedding planner services ___________
- Ushers ___________
- Food servers ___________
Miscellaneous (reserved fund, in case of emergency) ___________
So, YOUR TOTAL WEDDING BUDGET is: __________________ (this is where to write the total of amounts you budgeted in the above items).
That’s it for our wedding budget checklist of expenses for planning a Nigerian white wedding. Be sure to read the article that covers the traditional wedding budget items list.
After the Wedding Budget List, What Next?
You’ve made the wedding budget list for wedding shopping, now what? Having a list of likely wedding expenses or possible expenses is just the beginning in the process of knowing how much your wedding will cost. Among other things, you have to guesti-mate (I mean, budget) for each item in your wedding budget list – how do you do that?
Find below other articles we wrote to help you as you plan your wedding budget:
- How to create a Nigerian wedding budget from scratch – including how to breakdown a wedding budget to a detailed expense list. This article shows you how in step by step.
- Nigerian wedding budget calculator – this one is a hands-free way to automatically determine a breakdown of how much you should spend on different areas of your wedding event.
- Answers to Frequently Asked Questions on Wedding Budgets – Read this post to find answers to any questions you have about wedding budget.
- Five Different Examples of Wedding Planned with N500k, N700k and above – including how many guests they had.
Final Takeaway: Wedding Budget List for Shopping
No two weddings can be the same in terms of how much the couples will spend, because different couples have different priorities as well as are different in how much money that is available for them to spend. So, this wedding budget list is the list basic expense items in many Nigerian style weddings. Feel free to add more items or remove from the above Nigerian wedding shopping budget list, to suit your personal wedding taste and style.
My advice: It’s a good idea to print this wedding budget list and keep a copy in your handbag, so that it will be easy to find whenever you are shopping or negotiating with a wedding service vendor.
So, that’s it for the list of expenses to have in your wedding budget (shopping) list. It’s your turn now – tell me in the comments below, did I miss anything that you think should be on the above wedding budget list?